Advance Landing Ground R-77 was located at Gablingen, which was
located five miles north of Augsburg. USAAF records often cite
R-77's location as Gersthofen, which was to the south. The
headquarters airfield for Gablingen was Leipheim (R-59).
During the war, Gablingen Airdrome was home to three Luftwaffe
flying schools: Flugzeugführerschule A5, Nachtjadgschule 1, and Flugzeugführerschule C7.
Historical information about R-77 is available, along with photos of the area during WW II, at the web site of the FS Augsburg/701st ML Brigade. One of the most interesting aspects of the history of Gablingen is the complex tunnel system beneath the old airdrome, which may have been used to conceal the existence of a Messerschmitt test facility located here prior to, and during, the Second World War. This is partially documented by several books, some of which go so far as to describe the types and quantities of aircraft built at this location. According to Chronique de la Seconde Guerre mondiale, as referenced by Cybrary of the Holocaust, this Messerschmitt plant even used laborers from the Dachau concentration camp. Messerschmitt's rocket-powered Me163 Komets were tested at this facility as early as 1941. Other sources indicate that the tunnel system was merely part of the massive heating system for the airdrome and surrounding military complexes in the greater Augsburg area.
|Designation(s)||Country||Site(s) of Airstrip||225th Components Assigned|
|R-77||Gablingen||Battery C, 2nd Platoon|
Airstrip Locator Maps
Airstrip Facts and Chronology
Click on the V-2
to Rocket to the Top!
Contents & Layout © Copyright 1996-2000 Skylighters
Comments welcome at firstname.lastname@example.org