Neubiberg: Then & Now
Airfield R-85 (Fliegerhorst Unter Biberg)
[ As it looked in 1945 and how it looks today ]
Part II 1945 2000
The photos appearing in this section are reposted here courtesy H. Klusmann of the Fliegerhorst Neubiberg Web Site. Click on a picture to view a larger version.
The hangars today.
The control tower complex. The square building
to the left of the antenna mast is the old
parachute drying tower.
A portion of the runway.
New structures dominate the former R-85 area,
but the old barracks are visible in the left background.
More modern workshop buildings belonging to the Universität
der Bundeswehr. In the right background is the
old parachute drying tower.
The location of the Eagle memorial, erected in 1948.
A closer view of the memorial. Compare this
to a view of a similar memorial at the airfield in 1945.
The Eagle itself.
Another view of the Eagle.
The inscription on the memorial.
The inscription reads:|
27.10.33 - 31.12.91
1933 1935 FLUGPLATZ MÜNCHEN
1935 1945 FLIEGERHORST NEUBIBERG
1945 1958 NEUBIBERG AIR BASE
U. S. Air Force
1958 1991 NATO FLUGPLATZ NEUBIBERG
[unreadable details wrt occupancy]