One of the most important training centers of the Antiaircraft Command and home of the Army's only Antiaircraft Artillery School, Camp Davis was built early in 1941 at a cost of about $20,000,000.
The camp proper, including more than 1,000 buildings and a rifle range, occupies 9,000 acres. There are two firing points at Sears Landing (1,340 acres) 4 miles southeast of camp on the Atlantic and a firing point and tent camp at historic Fort Fisher (800 acres) 45 miles south of the reservation. Camp Davis also has access to 44,800 acres for maneuvers.
A principal part of the camp is the AA School. Subdivisions of the school are the Officers' Division, Officer Candidate Division, and Enlisted Division.
Camp Davis was once the site of the Army's Barrage Balloon Training Center, which moved, in February 1942, to Tennessee. Shortly after the BBTC left, the AA School moved here from Fort Monroe, Virginia, and the camp became a "nerve center" of antiaircraft activities.
The Officer Candidate Division of the AA School has a quota of 22,000 graduates a year. Students come from camps throughout the United States and its outposts to take the 90-day training course.
The Officers' Division curriculum includes refresher courses in Tactics and Technique of Antiaircraft Artillery, while the Enlisted Division offers instruction in the technical phases of antiaircraft artillery.
Not to be overlooked are the Station Complement units, camp "housekeepers," and the troop units in combat training.
Camp Davis is a young camp, an important camp, a good camp.