September 15, 2003
In late 1941 the Defense Plant Corporation contracted with
Pullman Standard to build 2,400 troop-sleeping cars (about 1,200
were actually built). Each troop car slept 29 to 30 passengers (on
three-tier bunk beds) and one Pullman porter. After the war they
were sold by the government for bargain-basement prices to
civilian railroads that converted them to a wide variety of uses,
ranging from cabooses to baggage cars to railway post offices.