The centerpiece of the Skylighters Traveling WW II Time Capsule is a vintage Army footlocker containing a collection of genuine WW II memorabilia (the footlocker in the picture at left is a lighter version used for bringing the collection greater distances; click on the thumbnail to view a larger version). The footlocker contains:
- A reproduction M-1941 field jacket, complete with 1st Army and 9th USAAF patches as worn by the Skylighters, who were attached to both simultaneously!
- Coast Artillery pins and pamphlets (the CA was the precursor to the Antiaircraft Artillery)
- A 1943 entrenching tool
- A 1944 canteen and mess kit
- 1940s movie magazines
- A genuine pair of GI leggings, and an M-1 helmet and helmet liner
- YANK magazines, the weekly periodical written by GIs for GIs
- V-mail envelopes
- D-Day lifebelt (worn by anyone landing at Omaha or Utah during
- Original WW II patches, including those for the 82nd Airborne and 101st Airborne.
- Various pieces of "trench art"
Augmenting the time capsule are several displays depicting American, Allied, and Axis fighting men (in one-sixth scale!) in the European Theater of Operations. (Click on the thumbnail at right to view the display "1944 The American GI in Normandy," which depicts an 82nd Airborne paratrooper, a 29th Infantry Division infantryman, a 2nd Ranger Battalion BAR gunner, a 101st Division "Screaming Eagle," and a 1st Division sergeant.)
WANT THE TIME CAPSULE AT YOUR NEXT FUNCTION?